Miller Family

Miller Family

Sunday, July 13, 2008

Return to Nature

For the second time in a week, our little family went on an adventure to Woods Ranch. This last time, on Saturday, was for a get together with the Miller side. On our way up the canyon this is what we saw (courtesy KSL.com):

A semi-truck carrying a load of cement overturned coming around a sharp turn. Traffic on the way up wasn't too bad, considering.

I didn't get any pictures of our last trip since it rained the entire time we were there and I spent most of the time in the car with McKay keeping him warm and dry. We went with the intention to cook tin-foil dinners in a firepit, but since the rain wouldn't quit we decided to head down the mountain to cook them at home. We had actually tried waiting out the rain, but we were too hungry to wait any longer. We only went about two miles when we were told we couldn't go home that way and needed to turn around to take a detour through Brian Head---a 45 minute drive. We stopped back at Woods Ranch and saw that a group had cleared one of the pavilions. So with some creativity we ended up cooking our dinner under the shelter of the pavilion.

As we attempted to head back down the mountain, we came across several more smashed up vehicles being loaded up on tow trucks. The road was being blocked off at the bottom and top of the mountain, but we were still allowed to go through. (Thank goodness!)

It turns out after the semi-truck rolled, traffic was down to one lane and a motorhome lost it's brakes while waiting and ended up causing a 10 car pile-up in the same place. Here is a picture I found of that (courtesy KSL.com):


I'm glad we tried to wait out the rain and avoided this accident! It's quite amazing there were no serious injuries in any of this.

1 comment:

Summer Miller said...

I saw this on the news, it was terrible and I am very glad you were able to avoid it.